Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Retrospective: Week Eight

‹prev | My Chain | next›

In an ongoing effort to make this chain as valuable as possible to myself (and possibly others), I perform a weekly retrospective of how the past week went (notes from last week). I do this on Tuesdays to avoid conflicts with B'more on Rails, which usually holds events then.

WHAT WENT WELL

  • Got started with node.js. I was able to install and get a simple interface to CouchDB running in a single day.
  • Learned a bit more about CouchDB replication and this after I wrote the couch-replicate gem. It is interesting that I was forced to learn (or happened upon it, depending on your point of view) while exploring node.js.
  • Applied replication lessons learned to the couch-replicate gem.
  • Simplified couch-replicate a bit at the last B'more on Rails open source hack night. Good times.

OBSTACLES / THINGS THAT WENT NOT SO WELL

  • A divergence into adding a feature to couch_docs has taken me three days already and I was not done until today. This is a fair diversion from the ostensible purpose of my chain.
  • I completely forgot about learning org-mode.

WHAT I'LL TRY NEXT WEEK

  • Org-mode. For an Emacs user, I make far too little use of this. I need to keep better track of patches / ideas for my gems and org-mode seems like a good starting place (carried over from last week).
  • No more couch_docs work (or anything else) unless it ties directly to something that I have learned or am learning. These last three days have just felt awkward.


Day #58

No comments:

Post a Comment