In an ongoing effort to make this chain as valuable as possible to myself (and possibly others), I perform a weekly retrospective of how the past week went (notes from last week). I do this on Tuesdays to avoid conflicts with B'more on Rails, which usually holds events then.
WHAT WENT WELL
- couch_docs! I completed work on the 1.1 feature set, adding the ability to watch directories for changes to be immediately uploaded to the CouchDB server.
- Received a bug report on the new version of couch_docs. Sure it was a bug, but hey, it means that someone actually tried out the gem.
- Fixed a bug.
- Prototyped, then implemented a feature (the watcher). I always like it when I can follow up a prototype-to-learn session with a quick implementation.
- Got to mess about with rubigen, if only for a little while.
OBSTACLES / THINGS THAT WENT NOT SO WELL
- Had a horrendously ineffective day on Saturday.
- Swore that I'd keep the feature set on couch_docs 1.1 small (which I did), but then immediately set off to add generators to 1.2
WHAT I'LL TRY NEXT WEEK
- Hold off on the generator feature in couch_docs. I can add that next week at the B'more on Rails open source hack night. I have a good enough start at this point.
- Switch back to learning. I'd like to do a little more exploration of replication and possibly node.js